Jul 24, 2017  –  Jul 28, 2017  |  Ann Arbor, MI

Data Management and Analysis for Reproducible Results

2015 recipient of the Leamer-Rosenthal Prize for Open Social Science and BITSS Catalyst J. Scott Long is holding a week-long workshop at the ICPSR Summer Program in Quantitative Methods of Social Science Research. See below or visit the ICPSR website for more details.

When: July 24 – 28, 2017
Where: ICPSR, Ann Arbor, MI
Instructor: J. Scott Long, Indiana University

The workshop will show you how to develop a workflow that is guided by the demands of producing reproducible and accurate statistical results while working as quickly and efficiently as possible. While classes in statistics classes focus on fitting and interpreting models, these activities often involve less than 10% of the total research enterprise. This workshop is about the other 90% of research:

  • planning, documenting, and organizing your work;
  • creating, labeling, naming, and verifying variables;
  • systematically performing and presenting statistical analyses;
  • preserving your work; and
  • critically, producing results that can be reproduced by others.

Who should take this workshop?
The class is appropriate for anyone, regardless of discipline, who has completed at least one graduate class in statistics.

The workshop will help experienced researchers:

  • Who need to meet expectations from journals to provide the data and script files to reproduce the results in their paper;
  • Who want to manage larger projects with collaborators;
  • Who want to develop more efficient computing practices, become more adept at file management, and keep more accurate records of data analysis.

The workshop is ideal for students:

  • Who have finished the first year of graduate school and want to develop critical skills to guide their future research;
  • Who are starting a dissertation, revising a master’s thesis for publication, or preparing a paper for submission to a journal.

What do I need to take the workshop?
You will need access to a dataset that you want to work with in order to follow and apply the ideas presented in the workshop. While Stata is used to illustrate the basic ideas, the strategies, and concepts covered in the workshop apply to any statistical package. You are welcome to use programs such as R, SAS, or SPSS for your own work. Just make sure you have that package installed on your laptop and are familiar with how to use it for the workshop.

*SPECIAL FEE: Participants who attend the first Four-Week Session of the 2017 ICPSR Summer Program (June 26 – July 21, 2017) or those who have attended Four-Week Sessions of the ICPSR Summer Program in the past are eligible for a special discounted fee of $900 to attend this five-day short workshop. To receive this special discounted fee, please email the Summer Program at sumprog@icpsr.umich.edu.

Fee: Members = $1200; Non-members = $2200

The deadline to register for this workshop is July 17, 2017. There is no deadline to register for the ICPSR Four-week sessions.

Questions? Email Prof. J. Scott Long at jslong@indiana.edu.

About the instructor: Dr. J. Scott Long is author of The Workflow of Data Analysis Using Stata (2009) and the 2015 recipient of the Leamer-Rosenthal Prize for Open Social Science from the Berkeley Initiative for Transparency in the social Sciences (BITSS). He is also a BITSS Catalyst, working to change scientific norms by training the next generation of social science researchers