Graduate Student Researcher – Research Transparency and Reproducibility (Spring 2022)
CEGA is seeking a graduate student researcher (GSR) (up to 49% time) for Spring 2022 to support research activities led by the Berkeley Initiative for Transparency in the Social Sciences (BITSS). The role will focus on conducting research on computational reproducibility, co-creating guidance materials for the newly-launched Social Science Reproduction Platform (SSRP).
The student will be responsible for:
- Reproducing three or more published research articles to test and suggest improvements to the SSRP and the accompanying Guide for Accelerating Computational Reproducibility (ACRe Guide).
- Cleaning and analyzing SSRP data and suggesting process improvements for data quality.
- Co-developing educational materials (e.g., FAQs) and refining existing guidance materials (e.g., reviewing the ACRe Guide for clarity and consistency with the SSRP).
- Preparing an IRB application for reproductions data analysis.
- Providing technical support to other graduate students conducting reproductions and instructors using the SSRP.
There may be an opportunity to extend this position through Summer 2022 depending on interest and availability.
The deadline to apply is December 31, 2022. We will select a candidate to start at the beginning of the Spring 2022 semester.
We are looking for a student with coursework or experience in economics, political science, psychology, public health, or another social science field, preferably having conducted a computational reproduction (or ‘replication’) of at least one published study. The ideal candidate has completed at least one year of coursework, is familiar with R, Github, SQL databases (desired), and has an interest in research transparency and reproducibility.
Salary step commensurate with experience at UC Berkeley.
How to apply:
Email firstname.lastname@example.org with your CV, a brief statement of interest, and a link to a sample project (e.g., a GitHub/Bitbucket repo), using the subject line: “BITSS GSR.”