Mar 26, 2018 – Mar 27, 2018 | Potchefstroom
Introducing Transparency, Reproducibility, and Open Science — Catalyst Workshop, Potchefstroom, South Africa
The two-day training aims to contribute to BITSS’s mission to improve understanding of barriers to reproducibility and build evidence for solutions for increased transparency. It also aims at training the next generation of young South African social scientists on tools and practices to enhance the transparency, reproducibility, and openness of their research.
The following aspect will be covered:
- Emerging issues in the practice of empirical social science
- Ethics in experimental research
- False-positives, p-hacking, p-curve, power analysis
- Theory and implementation of pre-analysis Plans
- Disclosure & transparent reporting
- Registration & data-sharing with OSF and Dataverse
- Approaches to the replication of research
- Dynamic documents using Stata and R
The training is designed for researchers from across the social sciences, with particular emphasis on economics, political science, and psychology. Ideal candidates include PhD and Masters students, postdocs and junior faculty. Diversity in terms of background and academic discipline is encouraged. Participation to the event is free, but rather competitive.