Communications and Web Design Intern, Spring 2019
BITSS is looking for a motivated student intern to support our design and digital presence. This is an opportunity for a graduate student or third or fourth year undergraduate to work on a short-term project (up to 2 months) during the 2019 Spring semester. We are able to offer a stipend for this position.
- Reorganize the BITSS website (BITSS.org), making it more intuitive to navigate, and visually engaging. This may include making the website mobile device-friendly
- Design and implement data visualizations based on BITSS program data
- Provide guidance on website layout and content to help deliver a clear, targeted message
- Produce event collateral design (signage, posters, flyers, brochures, etc.) within style/brand specifications
- Advise BITSS on website security protocols and best practices. This may include creating automated mechanisms for website backup and updating.
- Skilled in Web Design, Digital Marketing, or other relevant field
- Well-versed in WordPress theme development and customization, as well as using and customizing plugins to extend a site’s functionality
- Experienced with Adobe Creative Suite
- Good oral and written communication skills
- Well-organized, with strong attention to detail
- Self-directed, intrinsically motivated; proven capacity to manage work independently, multitask and be responsive to time-sensitive deadlines
- Ability to contribute while remaining flexible.
- Interest in research transparency and reproducibility
- Junior, Senior, or Graduate student studying Web Design, Computer Science, or other relevant field
- Well-versed in website CSS programming
- Familiar with responsive design principals and implementation of responsive frameworks and coding best practices for building mobile-friendly websites
- Experience with website security, managing underlying SQL database, SSH/SFTP, and ability to reliably backup website data
- Well-versed in R Markdown
- Sense of humor with a positive attitude in approaching challenges and uncertainty.
How to Apply
Send a cover letter and resume to Aleks Bogdanoski at email@example.com with the subject “BITSS Intern – Spring 2019”. Please detail any previous experience with website development, design, or security.
Open until filled.